Estimator & Senior Estimator Job Description
- `Review plans and architectural drawing; prepare quantity take-offs on assigned projects
- Ensure a complete review of plans and drawings. Identify items that have been omitted and ensure appropriate accounting for such items in overall estimate package that represents the full scope of the project
- Solicit subcontractor bids for assigned projects. Obtain 3-5 bids for each trade and supplier group. Review and analyze bids for conformance to project specifications, price, material, quality, insurance, wages, and related items. Discuss and resolve any questions with subcontractor prior to submission of final estimate.
- Maintain current information on trends in and changes to existing construction codes in order to ensure complete bids from subcontractors and material suppliers.
- Utilize appropriate software to provide optimal job performance.
- Assemble the estimate including general conditions, special conditions, insurance and bonds.
- Develop a working knowledge of material unit costs, systems square foot costs and total building square foot costs.
- Assist in putting together proposals and bid packages
- Attend Presentations when needed
- Ability to work with clients and maintain relationships
- Function as part of a team
Senior Additional Requirements
- Share information about reliable subcontractors and suppliers with other Estimators.
- Maintain relationship with the client during the actual project to ensure client satisfaction with the project and the company
- Provide other services as directed including change order pricing, site visits, bid delivery and occasional collaboration with teams for other project locations on specific bids
- Compute cost factors and prepare estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness
- Conduct special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions.
- Organize and manage a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized
- Analyze completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies.
- Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
- Must have a Degree in Construction Management or Engineering
- Equivalent work experience in the construction industry
- Strong development of estimating, communication, financial, analysis, budgeting, purchasing, negotiating and computer skills are required BIM is a plus